29 June 2009

Now

Ok. A ridiculously large amount of time has passed since my last entry, I know. Wags of the finger inserted (here) and welcomed without objection. I've never been good at any kind of journaling! And the worst part is that I actually have much to divulge. Lots has happened since the last of the updates I've given, and consequently a lot of reflection. Broken down car, loss of job, kindness of friends, visits from family, and even a few adventures in dating. Questioning of faith, some self realizations both of the positive and negative nature, and a renewed appreciation for the things I have and have come to learn, even as few and simple as they may be. 
Something that I have ascertained recently is that worry is a thing that we choose to do or not do, rather than something that forces itself upon us with circumstance. There are things in all of our lives that have the potential, if we let them, to ruin our daily attitude towards life and people, and cause us to worry. We all have bills to pay, relationships that need mending, lies that haunt us, schedules that overwhelm us, people that depend on us, loose ends that need tying up, and questions that need answering. Well, Greetings from planet Earth! This is life here, no matter if you live in the hustle and bustle of New York City or an undiscovered tribe in Africa (in which case you're probably not reading this! But the point remains true). The fact is, I can't think about tomorrow, because what I have is today.  And if I'm worrying and fretting and stressing and thinking about what I need to do tomorrow, I waste the time I have to do what I can today! It seems like a simple enough concept, I know. But I wonder as how well we actually practice it. It's something to be aware of, for sure. Tomorrow never comes, in a sense. It's always now. If I do what I can in the moment I'm in, tomorrow will take care of itself. All this to say that it's not a bad or unproductive thing to have aspirations for the future. We just can't allow ourselves to worry and stress about getting there or not getting there. But you can't eat an elephant in one bite, or put the cart before the horse. If we eat the elephant one bite at a time, and let the horse take one step at a time and only concern ourselves with that one bite or one step at a time, we'll be at the end before we realize it. 
So that's my new venture. To stop freaking out about the things I can't do right now. And start doing just the things I can. 

1 comment:

  1. WOW! I so needed to read this. I allllways put the cart before the horse, and I hate that I do that. Hang in there!!

    ReplyDelete